Allergan marks opening of new €160m biologics facility in Westport with 63 new jobs
By IDA Ireland
Allergan plc, the global integrated biopharmaceutical leader headquartered in Ireland, today marked the opening of its €160m state-of-the-art Biologics 2 facility at its Westport Campus in Co. Mayo, Ireland. The new facility will create 63 jobs and enhance Ireland’s position as a strategic global hub for Allergans’ flagship products, including their botulinum toxin brand. This brings Allergan’s total investment in Ireland since it began operations in the country to more than €750m.
The global launch event this morning was officiated by Minister Michael Ring, Minister for Rural and Community Development.
The Biologics 2 facility at Allergan Westport will feature new manufacturing suites to meet growing global demand for Allergan’s flagship products. As part of a strategic expansion to support the next generation of biologics innovation it will feature a new state-of-the-art microbiology and cell-based laboratory with world-class technology and research and development capabilities to support advances in discovery, development and manufacturing.
Coinciding with the opening of the Biologics 2 facility, Allergan recently marked the shipping of the 100 millionth vial of BOTOX® from the Westport campus as Allergan marked 30 years since the product first received FDA approval.
Speaking at the opening, Minister Michael Ring, Minister for Rural and Community Development said:“Allergan’s further expansion is a vote of confidence in Mayo and the West. Allergan is a fantastic employer and it’s great to see it further cement its presence here in Westport. Speaking as someone from Westport, Allergan has had a remarkably positive impact on the town and on the region. This announcement is further evidence of how the West can provide a wonderful environment for investors and employers. I commend Allergan for putting their trust in the West of Ireland. With the new N5 road project from Turlough to Westport taking shape, our ability to attract investment and jobs into the region will only improve.”
Speaking at the global opening event, Mr. Wayne Swanton, Executive Vice President of Global Operations at Allergan plc, said:“It gives me great pride to mark the global opening of our Biologics 2 facility here in Westport as we embark on the next chapter next chapter of growth and innovation for Allergan’s botulinum toxin brand and other biologics products. The sensitivity of biologics in the manufacturing process is like no other. It requires a level of exactness in manufacturing and handling throughout the whole supply chain around the world, which is truly unique. That journey starts here in Westport on the west coast of Ireland with a team of over 1,300 passionate and highly skilled people who have been integral to growing our products to the scale we see today and delivering impact for patients.
“Throughout our 40 years here in Ireland, we have enjoyed a tremendous relationship with local, regional and national government and the community around us. We continue to believe Ireland is an outstanding country for investment and expansion for all our products that are manufactured here in Westport. Ireland has made education, training and investment in its biopharma workforce a priority. As we look to the future, it is one of the benefits we value tremendously from having such a strong presence here in Ireland.”
Employing over to 2,000 across the country, one in ten employees in Allergan’s global workforce are now based in Ireland.
An independent economic assessment by EY DKM conducted in 2019 indicates that Allergans’ €160m capital investment programme in Ireland over the past 3 years contributed €23 million to Ireland’s GDP in 2019 and added €7 million in exchequer revenues. In 2018, Allergan’s significant Irish operations delivered a GDP impact of €308 million, supported 3,485 jobs in Ireland’s economy, and contributed exchequer revenues of €76 million.
Mr. Paul Coffey, Vice President Global Manufacturing (Eyecare & Biologics) and site lead at Allergan Westport, said:“This €160m investment underpins Allergans commitment to advancement in the biologics arena and we are delighted that Ireland is home to this strategic expansion. Our Westport campus is the largest and most complex in Allergans global network. Our new biologics facility, added to our existing biologics facility, will allow us to meet continued global demand for Allergans flagship products. With the addition of a new microbiology and cell-based laboratory too, the team here in Westport are looking forward to contributing to product innovations that will make a difference to patients’ lives all over the world and maintain our position at the forefront of the global biopharma industry.”
Mr. Martin Shanahan, CEO of IDA Ireland said:
“This latest €160M expansion by Allergan in Westport is a further, substantial vote of confidence in Ireland by a company that is a global leader in biopharmaceuticals and has already, over its 40-year presence in Ireland, invested almost €600M, growing its operations here from a workforce of just 25 employees in 1977 to become the substantial and valued employer of more than 2,000 people here in Ireland, that it is today. Securing investment for regional locations across Ireland has been, and will remain, a key focus for IDA Ireland and Allergan’s success here and its continued commitment to Mayo and Ireland with this additional investment is a clear endorsement for other companies considering investing in Ireland. I wish Allergan continued success and assure them of our on-going support.”
Allergan plc is headquartered in Ireland and operates four facilities – two manufacturing operations, one at Clonshaugh, Dublin and one in Westport, Co. Mayo – as well as an international supply chain office in Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin and a facility in Galway on foot of the acquisition of Zeltiq in April 2017. Zeltiq is a global leader in proprietary controlled-cooling technology for non-invasive fat reduction. The Westport and Clonshaugh facilities develop and manufacture a range of branded medicines primarily for the export market.
*Issued by Murray on behalf of Allergan.
For further information, please contact:
Avril Collins, Director
Tel: (01) 498 0300 / (00353) 86 396 4368, Email: email@example.com
Mark Marmur, International Communications & Public Relations
Tel: +44 7725 758677, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Allergan Ireland
- Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN), headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, is a global integrated speciality pharmaceutical leader focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceutical, device, biologic, surgical and regenerative medicine products for patients around the world.
- Allergan employs c. 2,000 people in Ireland where its roots stem back over 40 years.
- Allergan’s operations in Ireland have grown significantly since it first developed and opened its Westport plant on a greenfield IDA site in Westport, Co. Mayo in 1977, with just 25 employees.
- Allergan operates four facilities in Ireland – two manufacturing operations, one at Clonshaugh, Dublin and one in Westport, Co. Mayo – as well as an international supply chain office in Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin and a facility in Galway, on foot of the acquisition of Zeltiq in April 2017. Zeltiq is a global leader in proprietary controlled-cooling technology for non-invasive fat reduction.
- The Westport and Clonshaugh facilities develop and manufacture a range of branded medicines, primarily for the export market.
- Ireland plays a critical role in the manufacturing of Botox®, which is Allergan’s leading product globally, in terms of sales. Allergan’s Westport facility is a strategic part of the global Allergan network and is responsible for manufacturing the global supply of Botox®.
- Westport is home to the largest and most complex campus in the global Allergan network. It encompasses a pharmaceuticals facility, two biologics plants and an ocular implant facility which manufactures a range of leading eye care products.
- Marking 40 years in Ireland in 2017, Allergan announced a €42 million investment across its Clonshaugh and Westport manufacturing operations to support increased manufacturing capabilities for some of its key current and future products.
- As part of Allergan’s 40th anniversary celebrations in 2017, Allergan Ireland also introduced a new €50,000 Allergan Innovation Award Programme, in partnership with six Irish colleges and universities (Trinity, UCD, NUI Galway, IT Sligo, DCU and Galway-Mayo IT) around the country, aimed at encouraging research and innovation in the life sciences field.
- In 2018, Allergan invested a further €50 million in its Irish business. This capital investment facilitated an expansion of its laboratory operations and manufacturing operations, for new products currently in development.
- In late 2019, Allergan completed a €160m investment programme in a new Biologics facility at its Westport plant, cementing its strategic role as the global home to Botox®. The global opening of the Biologics 2 facility took place on 28th January 2020.
- This latest €160m investment programme in Westport brings Allergan’s total investment in Ireland to date to over €750m. An independent economic assessment indicated that in 2018, Allergan’s significant Irish operations delivered a GDP impact of €308 million, supported 3,485 jobs in Ireland’s economy, and contributed exchequer revenues of €76 million.
Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN), headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, is a global integrated specialty pharmaceutical leader. Allergan is focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceutical, device, biologic, surgical and regenerative medicine products for patients around the world.
Allergan is an industry leader in Open Science, a model of research and development, which defines our approach to identifying and developing game-changing ideas and innovation for better patient care. With this approach, Allergan has built one of the broadest development pipelines in the pharmaceutical industry.
Allergan’s success is powered by our global colleagues’ commitment to being Bold for Life. Together, we build bridges, power ideas, act fast and drive results for our customers and patients around the world by always doing what is right.
With commercial operations in approximately 100 countries, Allergan is committed to working with physicians, healthcare providers and patients to deliver innovative and meaningful treatments that help people around the world live longer, healthier lives every day.